Sunday, September 24, 2017

How To Be Unfair

Matthew 20:1-16

There’s something I’m forced to notice about myself every so often, and this week I realized it again: I’m not really a very fair person.

I have a habit of thanking people for little things – even when someone I’ve been depending on much longer for bigger things is right there in the room.
I give money to causes that are of moderate importance, even while minor and life-changing causes are also looking interestedly at my checkbook.
I buy dinner for people who don’t need it, urge more brownies on people who have already had their share, and when I’m driving, I never pause to calculate the fairness of waving someone into my lane, or moving ahead and letting them take their chances.

I’m not actually a very fair person. And as any seven year old can tell you, you’re supposed to be fair.
Jesus also knows we’re supposed to be fair. But then he goes and tells stories like the one we heard today.

A story where an employer blithely pays everyone in sight a full day’s wage, whether they worked less than an hour, or the whole hot and tiring day long. If you don’t twitch with at least a slight alarm when you hear Jesus tell this story, then you’re not listening. This is NOT FAIR, and every one of us knows it.

It may trigger memories of those unfair times when everybody in the group got an A, or a bonus, for a project where you did all the work. When you’ve been waiting patiently forever, and someone cuts in at the front of the line. When your brother who was an awful brat all day long gets the same size piece of cake that you do.

Or it may bring memories of those times when I was a brat all day, and got the same size piece of cake as the good kids. Or walked up to a long checkout line just as they opened a new register, and got to be first in line. Or profited from a system’s unconscious bias that makes success just that much easier for me than for others.

Every one of us has probably had something profoundly unfair happen to us, and many of us have had something unfair happen for us.  Because as your mother undoubtedly had to tell you at some point: Life isn’t fair. No matter how much we want it to be.

To want fairness is human, so we usually resonate with that moment when the laborers who had been working all day speak up and complain that it is Just Not Fair for the employer to pay the latecomers the same wage that we’ve earned.
No matter what the employer may say about how fair it is to pay the wage agreed to at the beginning of the day, it feels unfair, and we’ve been taught to pay attention to that feeling so we can learn to be fair to others.

Usually, we’ve been taught to see ourselves as the laborers in this story – sometimes as the laborers who receive unexpected, unearned grace; sometimes as those who feel envious and cheated – but either way, to feel that unfairness so that we appreciate the unreasonable generosity of God.

But perhaps sometimes God doesn’t see us as the laborers in this story. Perhaps God sees us as the employer. Perhaps when he tells this story, Jesus is inviting us, provoking us, not only to appreciate God’s unbalanced grace, but to be that irrationally generous ourselves; to take joy in giving itself, and in seeking and planning to give.

It struck me this week that there is a good chance that this employer was probably able to hire all the laborers he needed to get the day’s work done when he went out right at the beginning of the day. And any fair employer would be satisfied at that point.
But this one just keeps going out, looking for other people to include. And finds them, and goes out again, at noon, at 3 pm, at 5…. Looking for more people to include, never mind that the work is probably already getting done just fine. Keeps going out until there’s no daylight left to go out in, and keeps bringing people in, just so, at the end of the day, he can pay everyone a good day’s wage.
And when he’s challenged, he asks, “Am I not allowed to do what I wish with what is mine?”

Maybe this isn’t a story about fairness after all. It’s a story about wishing to be generous. Wanting to be lavish, working for and seeking that opportunity, all day long, because it gives you joy. Because it makes you whole.

I love saying thank you, and I’m glad nobody tells me how unfair I am about throwing those words around.
I’m often unfair in selfish ways, too, but I love giving unexpected gifts, and when I do, I’d rather get nothing in return.
And I’ll bet there’s something unfair that you love, too.

I’ll bet some of you love to cook for people who didn’t contribute anything to the meal. (maybe particularly for people who don’t insist on “helping”)
I’ll bet others love to help someone out, no matter whether or not they’ve earned a helping hand.
I’ll bet some of you get joy out of giving money, or skill, or time, without stopping to calculate the relative merit of every single cause or purpose you give to.

I’ll bet that some of you – maybe all of you – love being generously unfair in ways I haven’t named or thought of, just because the giving gives you joy. Just because it makes your heart grow warmer, deeper, stronger, or your soul delight.
And when we do that – when we seek out and revel in the opportunity to give without weighing merit or counting costs – we find ourselves closer to God, sharing God’s joy, living with God’s heart in this everyday world.

I think that God wants to tell this story about you, and me; about each of us.

I think God wants to tell the story about how we spent the day – today, yesterday, tomorrow – looking for people to include; about how you were confident in your unfair generosity, and knew the joy you took in giving more than could be earned.

That’s not fair, of course, but it is freeing. It’s holy, and heart-filling, and delightfully divine. And that makes it a story God loves to tell about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment